RMBVA

RMBVA (http://rmbva.com/index.php)
-   Battle Video Archives (http://rmbva.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Diz still top tier? (http://rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=28729)

slisky 11-14-2017 12:03 AM

Is Diz still top tier?

cuz that's 3 losses in a row now, all from this year alone.

normally a top tier battler loses that status after a losing streak like this, i.e charlie clips etc.

Seanzo 11-14-2017 12:13 AM

Yes, Diz is one of the most popular battlers in the world and losses have nothing to do with being top tier. Hitman Holla lost rounds 2 & 3 for a long time and is considered one of the greats.

Emancee 11-14-2017 12:17 AM

Awwww... I love this forum! People here still thinks wins and losses actually count for something... so cute.

Cuntoffs are Jumps 11-14-2017 12:19 AM

what he said, + like it or not most internationally recognised US battler (by résumé +)

also Charlie lost status cos he didn't try and spread himself thin with too many battles - that pisses people off after a while, Diz always tries, tries and sometimes melts down, but he never half-arses it apart from those weird battles (Tay Roc sounds one) where he's overly respectful

brodeezy 11-14-2017 04:17 AM

depends what u mean by top tier

diz gets views for reasons other than his battling, so no he is not a top tier battler but he has a top tier name in battling. he'll still get booked against big names, but he'll also still suck

like dna has 30 billion views but hes probably bottom 3 active battlers right now and anyone lying to themselves saying he's top tier needs to chill. same goes for diz

Hitchslap 11-14-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodeezy (Post 739102)

diz gets views for reasons other than his battling, so no he is not a top tier battler but he has a top tier name in battling. he'll still get booked against big names, but he'll also still suck

like dna has 30 billion views but hes probably bottom 3 active battlers right now and anyone lying to themselves saying he's top tier needs to chill. same goes for diz

Exactly.

Performance wise? Not even close.
Tricking companies and hyping himself up? Sure.

He's top tier I suppose to some, but he's not a REAL top tier in terms of talent/performance.

He's kind of like the company that got in while the 'gettin was good' so now he's kind of stuck here forever.

Hitchslap 11-14-2017 04:47 AM

Quote:

Brodeezy needs to stop dropping knowledge before I get a chance!

iamHBY 11-14-2017 05:06 AM

Eh, he's still a top name that can be booked as the main event on any card in the world. I think he's transcended wins or losses affecting whether or not leagues book him.

track 1 11-14-2017 07:16 AM

in terms of talent? No

Ams 11-14-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 739109)
Eh, he's still a top name that can be booked as the main event on any card in the world. I think he's transcended wins or losses affecting whether or not leagues book him.

Excluding SM and NOME

Abstrakt 11-14-2017 12:47 PM

No matter what diz does... he’ll be top tier

Abstrakt 11-14-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 739109)

Exactly. I don’t get why people still don’t understand this

iamHBY 11-14-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ams (Post 739121)
Excluding SM and NOME

He already was the last match at NOME 3, so...

rogermellie 11-14-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 739126)

You know what he meant and anyway he wasn't booked as the main or even co-main event, even if his battle ended up happening last.

iamHBY 11-14-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogermellie (Post 739130)
You know what he meant and anyway he wasn't booked as the main or even co-main event, even if his battle ended up happening last.

What was the main event for NOME 3, Hollow/Surf or Hitman/Con?

Ams 11-14-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 739126)

Thats past tense. What is the OP asking?

"Is Diz STILL top tier?"

Ams 11-14-2017 05:38 PM

Diz will NEVER be accepted by the majority of "urban" battle rap Fans.
Without KOTD his relevancy in North American battle Culture will decrease dramatically.

rogermellie 11-14-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 739137)
What was the main event for NOME 3, Hollow/Surf or Hitman/Con?

Yeah I'd say so since those were the biggest battles on the card, I think Hollow/Surf was probably the top of the card since it was Hollow's return but then I guess everything is the main event on the night of main events.

GetPaid 11-14-2017 06:11 PM

Losses don't even really matter as far as top tier. If we were judging off skill, Diz would never have been top tier.

He just battled Tay Roc as the headlining battle on URL after battling on the headlining battle of the only KOTD World Domination event that counted, which indicates he is definitely still top tier.

iamHBY 11-14-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogermellie (Post 739142)
Yeah I'd say so since those were the biggest battles on the card, I think Hollow/Surf was probably the top of the card since it was Hollow's return but then I guess everything is the main event on the night of main events.

It looks like Hollow/Surf was indeed the battle advertised at the top of the flyer, I stand corrected.

Cabbagetown 11-14-2017 06:38 PM

I'm not a huge fan of diz (apart from Solomon battle he hasn't been super interesting recently) but to suggest he's not top tier is crazy.

His attitude may be dogshit and his performance subjectively sucks balls, but neither currently are affecting his stature.

The bottom line is, Diz would headline any card he's on and it's been that way for awhile (excl. surprise battle).... that's top tier. When/if that stops, he will no longer be considered top tier.

If there's justice in the world, he'll stop getting battles in NA because of all the reasons people have said, take some battles internationally for awhile but his "brand" fizzles a bit without North American opponents. He strikes out on acting and, ahem, his "music" career. Then tries to get back into the North American scene but no one is interested, so he starts battling on lower tier leagues for a fraction of the price he would get booked for in his hay day. Eventually after he's battled Bonnie Godiva on QOTR for an Egg McMuffin and bus fair, KOTD will decide to give him another shot battling in the Grande Prix 2038 against Nunn Nunn's sweater, and JUST LIKE THAT he'll no longer be top tier.

...the aforementioned will never happen.

youdontwannabethatguy 11-14-2017 08:03 PM

i think he's kinda garbage now but diz will basically always be top tier tbh

Water Mage 11-16-2017 05:21 AM

Diz's only value nowadays is as a marketing stunt. As a marketing stunt, he is top tier, yes. You do not need to have a great win rate to be "top tier" by any means, but popularity is only one metric for top tier status and Diz isn't well-rounded enough to be considered top-tier.

Does Diz belong in the hall of fame? Yes. But "top tier" is a fluid construct based on current competitiveness as well as current performance level, popularity is necessary to be top tier but not enough on its own

StankDaddy 11-16-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Closest i've felt to you ever.

StankDaddy 11-16-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstrakt (Post 739124)
No matter what diz does... he’ll be top tier

That's like saying Kevin James is one of the greatest actors ever. Its absolute shit

RickyProehl 11-16-2017 04:51 PM

I mean hes all over the place with sloppy performances left and right guys a mess

Last times i really enjoyed diz’ material was vs iron then before that math everything else has been a mess

Last time he was top tier was vs canibus i love that battle without question that was his peak imo

Tecnik 11-16-2017 06:04 PM

When was he ever top tier talent wise? Has he EVER had 3 rounds of fire for a single battle? I don't recall that happening once (correct me if I'm wrong though).

The lasting impression of Dizaster for me is that he gets opportunities that he probably wouldn't get if he wasn't friends with the higher ups, prefers unlimited time because he assumes bullshit freestyle quantity > exceptional writing quality, and thinks higher of himself than any of his super fans ever possibly could.

Also, If wins/losses don't matter, why is this still referred to as battle rap? Competitions usually have an outcome. Why are battlers so scared to be told they lost? Participation trophies should be handed out at the end of the night at events. Shit's corny.

VAallDAY 11-17-2017 09:01 AM

Nah... not as far as skill goes at least

It was awkward as hell when he was saying those punchlines then waiting for the crowd like he just spit the craziest shit ever...

He looked like he didnt belong on that stage tbh.... so imma say NO.

JR77 11-17-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StankDaddy (Post 739230)
That's like saying Kevin James is one of the greatest actors ever. Its absolute shit

It's not about great. Adam Sandler is (or at least, used to be) an A-List actor. Diz can easily be top tier and still deserve razzies for worst battler alive.

AVOCADO 11-17-2017 07:49 PM

absolutely.

Feral Linguist 11-17-2017 09:56 PM

If 'top tier' means more widely known as opposed to more consistent in performance

Then it's nothing to discuss

StankDaddy 11-17-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR77 (Post 739283)
It's not about great. Adam Sandler is (or at least, used to be) an A-List actor. Diz can easily be top tier and still deserve razzies for worst battler alive.

Huh. Then it 100% depends on the metric.

He is absolutely, without question NOT top tier (unless you're PityPoster) in terms of skill and presentation.
If the metric is how many idiots support him through his mental illness? Absolutely inarguably top tier. That's NOT a good thing.

IF Diz is to be considered top tier its because he's ipso facto a shit battler but a good promotion tool. Like Kevin James. Absolutely no respect from anyone who actually understands acting but massive amounts of popularity - i can't call him top tier personally.

Sandler a bad example - he's actually an incredibly good actor when hes not pandering. (Punch Drunk Love for instance).

Neanderthol 11-17-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetPaid (Post 739144)
He just battled Tay Roc as the headlining battle on URL after battling on the headlining battle of the only KOTD World Domination event that counted, which indicates he is definitely still top tier.

This is the answer

Ams 11-18-2017 04:00 PM

^and what is he going to headline in the future?
Events on creative leagues in Europe and the Middle East.
People dont want to see him on URL and he burned bridges with KOTD.
And it is not like he was booked by that many Different leagues in NA like Bullpen, RBE or UDubb.
He fucked himself the fuck up.

Prison Mike 11-20-2017 06:20 AM

Diz has cemented his legacy, but I'm afraid he may have peaked.... Personally, I no longer get excited when he's announced for battles. But it's probably because I have trouble separating his personality IRL from his persona on stage, although they are both very cringeworthy to me.

But, at this stage in his career, he's definitely solidified himself as one of the greats. I don't know what's left for him though... He seems to be finished with KOTD. I'm guessing he was banking on a strong performance on the URL stage to give him more of a push on that platform but he lost, and was also kinda delusional if he thought that in the first place.

Real rap 11-20-2017 07:11 AM

He's desent but Tay roc owned him

ICeeZeeI 11-20-2017 09:55 AM

DiZ is gonna have to suck Ganiks dick to get on Blackout this year. No homo.

Abstrakt 11-27-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StankDaddy (Post 739230)

no... it's not like that at all

it's like saying kevin james is an A list celebrity.... which he is

Emseed 11-28-2017 06:28 AM

I guess he will be until KOTD can find someone other than him or Pat Stay to be their main event.

I guess Dizaster has done a good job of building his image and his character and all the shit talking he does online which builds hype for his battles. So yeah I suppose he markets himself well. His image and KOTD using him as their default for main event battles are the only things making him "top tier".

Dizaster is like the Shannon Briggs of battle rap. He ain't that good, but he markets himself well.

corny 11-28-2017 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emseed (Post 739706)
I guess he will be until KOTD can find someone other than him or Pat Stay to be their main event.

I guess Dizaster has done a good job of building his image and his character and all the shit talking he does online which builds hype for his battles. So yeah I suppose he markets himself well. His image and KOTD using him as their default for main event battles are the only things making him "top tier".

Dizaster is like the Shannon Briggs of battle rap. He ain't that good, but he markets himself well.

Shannon briggs haha u crazy....diz Is more like nate diaz, straight up.