Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
we still gonna let genuine bigotry slide in battle rap?

Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
we still gonna let genuine bigotry slide in battle rap?

to elicit a more serious conversation tbh

checked out twitter today and saw a battler (i forgot who) announce he has a battle with a gay dude and is taking 3 rounds to address the GAY AGENDA THAT FEMINIZES THE BLACK MAN. b dot replied and encouraged the angle, rather unsurprisingly. trash.

i get it's battle rap, you say what you want, whatever. it just feels kinda weird that nearly zero battlers directly call shit like this out, likely knowing damn well how these perspectives hurt minority communities. few battlers generally say they aren't cool with using slurs of any kind in battles, but that's the extent of progress to my knowledge. it seems like battlers, personalities, etc hold their tongues when genuine homophobia or any sort of bigotry gets some support from the scene.

pretty fucked up to me.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Not just the scene, surely? This seems to be the pattern in most places.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
I feel like the realm which is based upon people saying stuff to each other should probably remain one in which you can say what you want to each other, to be plain about it. I'm not saying someone doesn't have the right to get angry and slap you upside the head for it, but that's up for you personally to decide, not to mandate as a blanket ban, cause plenty might not have cared. However, censoring what people can say in a battle of saying things to each other isn't something I'd ever consider a good idea tbh, there's no well worded argument that could change my mind on that.
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Tecnik

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tecnik is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
to elicit a more serious conversation tbh

checked out twitter today and saw a battler (i forgot who) announce he has a battle with a gay dude and is taking 3 rounds to address the GAY AGENDA THAT FEMINIZES THE BLACK MAN. b dot replied and encouraged the angle, rather unsurprisingly. trash.

i get it's battle rap, you say what you want, whatever. it just feels kinda weird that nearly zero battlers directly call shit like this out, likely knowing damn well how these perspectives hurt minority communities. few battlers generally say they aren't cool with using slurs of any kind in battles, but that's the extent of progress to my knowledge. it seems like battlers, personalities, etc hold their tongues when genuine homophobia or any sort of bigotry gets some support from the scene.

pretty fucked up to me.
I realize that battle rap is barely battle rap at this point, but let's take a short stroll down memory lane...

At one point, before this shit turned into 2 actors sharing a stage and doing their best to convince everyone how big their make believe guns are, battle rap used to actually have winners/losers who would say mean things to their opponents in an attempt to see who's better.

This is not the arena to look to for political correctness or progressive ideas pertaining to sexuality. Exactly how it should be. I can only hope that battle rap doesn't turn into a bunch of pacifists running around trying to mind peoples delicate feelings and being apologetic about saying the things that made people ever give a shit about them in the first place.

You and the rest of the LGBTQXYZWTF9er community need to cool it with this being overly offended by mean words and trying to blow them out of proportion. "Real bigotry" involves actual violence where peoples lives are in danger, not just someone saying something distasteful and someone elses feelings getting hurt. Toughen up. Immediately.
Tecnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Ams

Ams is not the worst person
Calling out a gay agenda in the hiphop industry is homophobic? You weird bro.
Ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
iamHBY

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I believe battle rap is like stand-up comedy, you can say whatever you want as long as it’s done well. But if it’s something like let’s say B Dot doing a whole round about how someone’s apparently gay or trans or whatever because they didn’t have a father around growing up (2 battles after devoting his 3rd against Danny to “strong single mothers”), then yeah, it’s appropriate grounds to make fun of them for saying something stupid.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
it's best to let them get their thoughts out, right? Let them get their shit off

It's creative, and after it's all said and it's out there, people are going to all react differently and it might even get some discussion going that'll put things in a different direction, for some people. what more can you ask for?

censorship is wrong

battling of all things is supposed to be where censorship cannot thrive, cannot be respected
Old 06-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This post is lowkey good promo for the battle OP is rallying against. Is that your intention @peace ? Are you an evil genius or a card carrying member of the PC police? There is no middle ground lol
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Also, it sounds like this battle is going to be boring as fuck.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
wreckedangle
@wreckedangle

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
wreckedangle is not the worst person
shut up faggot
whoa
ONLY DUMB NIGGA'S THINK ITS THE SAME PAIR I GOT SO MANY I COULD START A LINE...SLIME
WHOA!!!!
wreckedangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
i haven't read any of these posts aside from peace's OP, but to quote the great @SHOWTIME

the bullshit that gets said under the guise of "anything goes" is kinda trash, and the people that push the agenda of "anything goes" are idiots too. this isn't the "last bastion of free speech", as dirtbag dan once called it, it's the last place you can go to be a complete asshole to anyone who doesn't look or think like you. the best take-away from all of this is that the best battlers in the culture right now, such as rum nitty, geechi gotti and even tay roc are largely unproblematic in that regard and haven't needed to rely on that. it's the people who flounder in the midcard and know they're B+ players that push the shock value bigotry angles

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
(neg me all you want i'm too big to fail now)
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Unfortunately people in battle rap are too defensive for this kind of conversation, a lot of people just immediately jump to their stock anti-PC arguments, in this thread most people aren't even addressing what was actually said in the post.

Gotta laugh at this idiot announcing his trash angles for the entire battle on twitter though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz

Last edited by rogermellie; 06-03-2019 at 09:25 AM.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
iamHBY

Spending 3 rounds against a gay battler talking about "the gay agenda" sounds comically pretentious.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
its Drugz, which is funny bcuz his idol Twork battled a gay dude first("this pound gon bucka, this mack'll come out the closet too,.. you'll be under the covers..I put you down low brother"/"..you gon die wit your brother ,he heard Twork and got the wrong idea..BOW..brain drainin down the sewer...get your mind out the gutter") so hes not breaking any ground there but as far as the angle, it is a good an angle as any

This is a position in the black community, period. To disagree is fine and to feel the idea is shitty is also fine but to act like this position is just "not a thing" is misrepresentation of reality. You don't have to believe in "the gay agenda" to know that other people do.

Al that said , this done right can work. I mean as well as any BDOT to Verb about being raised by a lesbian or to Stric about the white shit did

Last edited by Neanderthol; 06-03-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #15
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthol View Post
its Drugz, which is funny bcuz his idol Twork battled a gay dude first("this pound gon bucka, this mack'll come out the closet too,.. you'll be under the covers..I put you down low brother"/"..you gon die wit your brother ,he heard Twork and got the wrong idea..BOW..brain drainin down the sewer...get your mind out the gutter") so hes not breaking any ground there but as far as the angle, it is a good an angle as any

This is a position in the black community, period. To disagree is fine and to feel the idea is shitty is also fine but to act like this position is just "not a thing" is misrepresentation of reality. You don't have to believe in "the gay agenda" to know that other people do.

Al that said , this done right can work. I mean as well as any BDOT to Verb about being raised by a lesbian or to Stric about the white shit did
But specifically with that 2nd for Verb, that was a terrible round.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
Paradox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Paradox is not the worst person

"☥Rip Nip �� ��☥

@B_dot_the_GoD
Follow Follow @B_dot_the_GoD
More
yo i got white in my blood so i aint racist im jus saying real talk hahhaha lmao"

b dot is a weirdo
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #17
Feral Linguist
otbva

even though I am someone who is all for zero censorship in battling, I think people like Drugz and BDot are absolutely some of the worst people to hit the written era.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #18
mek

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
mek is not the worst person
the whole essence of battle rap is bigotry.

not a single battle in history didnt have one moment of it.

im confused
mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 AM   #19
clapburn

clapburn probably likes in here/hair word play
Ive said some stupid shit and im in the red but this post is gay. Dont listen to battle rap pussy. Making battles pc smmfh. Put a helmit on in the ring and only say things socially acceptable
clapburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #20
clapburn

clapburn probably likes in here/hair word play
This post was the official nail in the coffin. This is where its gonna go. Pretty soon dont rap about dead dudes gay dudes lame dudes flame dudes. Rap as meanly as you can as nicely as you can. Foh
clapburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 AM   #21
Feral Linguist
otbva

besides is there anybody who can form their own opinion on genuine human rights issues, i.e. NOT hating people or hurting people for their sexual preference, who are going to be SWAYED by a fuckin rap battle......?
Old 06-04-2019, 04:20 AM   #22
iamHBY

I think my biggest issue with this approach is how transparently it comes off like a desperate attempt to go viral. Like I could imagine Drugz paying one of those Facebook viral video pages to make a video of one of his proposed rounds and put a caption around it like “Battle Rapper Exposes Gay Agenda” or whatever with flame emojis.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #23
Tecnik

Quote:
I think my biggest issue with this approach is how transparently it comes off like a desperate attempt to go viral. Like I could imagine Drugz paying one of those Facebook viral video pages to make a video of one of his proposed rounds and put a caption around it like “Battle Rapper Exposes Gay Agenda” or whatever with flame emojis.
Haven't heard of this Drugz guy before, but if thats the road he wants to take in his battling career to try to maximize his expose... let him. Realistically, if he happens to go viral, he isn't doing himself any favors by going that route. THat community doesn't fuck around when it comes to making them look silly. This dude may win the battle, but end up cooking himself in the process. That sounds much more entertaining to see play out to me than some dipshit, who's so creative that he calls himself Drugz, rapping about the nonsense I can only assume he'd rap about otherwise.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 AM   #24
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnik View Post
Haven't heard of this Drugz guy before, but if thats the road he wants to take in his battling career to try to maximize his expose... let him. Realistically, if he happens to go viral, he isn't doing himself any favors by going that route. THat community doesn't fuck around when it comes to making them look silly. This dude may win the battle, but end up cooking himself in the process. That sounds much more entertaining to see play out to me than some dipshit, who's so creative that he calls himself Drugz, rapping about the nonsense I can only assume he'd rap about otherwise.
He’s a member of The Goonies, alongside Nu Jerzey Twork, Jakkboy Maine, Glueazy, Ryda, C3, Quban, Lu Castro and Ace Amin. Sidebar, there’s too many members in that group.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
the whole essence of battle rap is bigotry.

not a single battle in history didnt have one moment of it.

im confused
the only part of this that was right is the last part

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #26
FILTH
Jesucio

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
FILTH is not the worst person
https://www.finalcall.com/artman/pub...e_103491.shtml

Last edited by FILTH; 06-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.
FILTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #27
Dusted123

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dusted123 is not the worst person
So where do you draw the line?

There are people who think the use of "nigga" in battle rap is offensive as well, should we just ban all rappers who say that?

Hip-Hop is expression, you can express whatever views you like, some views are going to have you labeled a clown and you'll be chastised but you're still allowed to express them
Dusted123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #28
rogermellie

rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Lol in the OP there literally isn't any suggestion of censoring battler's material or banning the use of offensive material in battles.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #29
Tecnik

Quote:
He’s a member of The Goonies, alongside Nu Jerzey Twork, Jakkboy Maine, Glueazy, Ryda, C3, Quban, Lu Castro and Ace Amin. Sidebar, there’s too many members in that group.
I'm way more out of the loop than I thought. I only recognize 3 of these names, and have only heard 1 of them ever rap before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
Lol in the OP there literally isn't any suggestion of censoring battler's material or banning the use of offensive material in battles.
It's implied in the title of the thread. I suspect that OP just has no idea what genuine bigotry looks like. If we're placing mean words being said, where all parties involved are contractually obligated to play nice, in the same context as actual violence then middle schools across the world have more genuine bigotry than battle rap.

Last edited by Tecnik; 06-04-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #30
rogermellie

Quote:
It's implied in the title of the thread.
Well it was clarified in the OP.

Quote:
I suspect that OP just has no idea what genuine bigotry looks like. If we're placing mean words being said, where all parties involved are contractually obligated to play nice, in the same context as actual violence then middle schools across the world have more genuine bigotry than battle rap.
Either you're reading something I'm not or you're using an incorrect definition of bigotry, violence isn't implicit in bigotry.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #31
Milkman45

Milkman45 is not the worst person
this used to be 'edgy'
Milkman45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #32
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
you're right but, what would another solution to the issue be?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #33
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
A bunch of fuckery ITT

Why speak on a rapper if you don't know him, his work or kinda wtf you're talkin about?

Drugz is decent first of all, dare I say good even

This isn't one of "his things" ala a B.Dot; he literally hasn't ever done this so the whole "ppl like him and BDot" shit is out the window

He is literally trying to find something that will inspire him to write for a battle no one cared about, including him up to the moment he had the idea

NO, this will not become some viral sensation, although I'm sure he hopes it does a little, as none of those gay league battles do any numbers at all

Etc.........
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #34
StankDaddy

StankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokesStankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokes
If you're angle is that someone is gay - you shouldn't be battling. That's weak, uncreative, done-to-death and only a insult to your insecurities, not the other person's sexuality.

rogermellie hit it well. Clapburn proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he has no original thoughts in his tiny brain.
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #35
StankDaddy

StankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokesStankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
you're right but, what would another solution to the issue be?
If you can't think of one, that's on you bruh.

How about making it so embarrassing to be a complete piece of shit people have to stop doing it? That's what calling people out actually is, which is what was suggested.
Not on some Soul Khan i hate-battle-rap tip, but let them get their shit off, then rip them to shreds for how bad it is for one, how DUMB it is for two and how badly it reflects on the entire culture for three.
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedboy View Post
i haven't read any of these posts aside from peace's OP, but to quote the great @SHOWTIME

the bullshit that gets said under the guise of "anything goes" is kinda trash, and the people that push the agenda of "anything goes" are idiots too. this isn't the "last bastion of free speech", as dirtbag dan once called it, it's the last place you can go to be a complete asshole to anyone who doesn't look or think like you. the best take-away from all of this is that the best battlers in the culture right now, such as rum nitty, geechi gotti and even tay roc are largely unproblematic in that regard and haven't needed to rely on that. it's the people who flounder in the midcard and know they're B+ players that push the shock value bigotry angles
Here's the problem when you start censoring speech in a field where people are saying disrespectful stuff to each other, where do you draw the line?

They are things I don't like in battle rap but he you can't stop people from saying that angle. I do think some lines people can get slapped for and I wouldn't feel bad but that's a different issue.

If there is some universal line tell me what it is

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #37
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Here it is it's an angle. If executed well it will work. If not it will fail. Homosexuality isn't supported in hiphop and/or battle rap so it's a good crowd supporter. I battled a gay dude and my angle was for the 3 rounds I would do anything but a gay joke. Angles are all how they are executed.

This is a real topic in the black community so it could be interesting

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #38
CBA

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
Hate to disappoint OP but it's going to be a long time before battle rappers start supporting gay people/insult people who criticize gay people in angles that they use.

What is next? Pointing out that none of the Smack rappers supported the "Me Too" movement?
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #39
gordyacres

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
gordyacres is not the worst person
IMO battle rap is always about pointing out the differences between yourself and your opponent, whatever it may be, and diss that particular quality for entertainment, whether it's your fat, tall, short, gay, a certain race, etc. all for entertainment value and not to be taken that seriously. so people concerned about "bigotry" in battle rap? Are you really a fan of battle rap??
gordyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #40
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by StankDaddy View Post
If you can't think of one, that's on you bruh.

How about making it so embarrassing to be a complete piece of shit people have to stop doing it? That's what calling people out actually is, which is what was suggested.
Not on some Soul Khan i hate-battle-rap tip, but let them get their shit off, then rip them to shreds for how bad it is for one, how DUMB it is for two and how badly it reflects on the entire culture for three.
interesting take

unfortunately some people especially in the battle culture are so delusional that they will continue to convince themselves that.. They're right and You're wrong

Tags
55356, 55357, 56473, 57281, 8207, 8217, 8220, 8221, 9765, pussification of battle rap, sjw thread