Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Thoughts on the new URL app?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Thoughts on the new URL app?

For context, URL released a new app to iOS and Android for $7.99, where they'll be releasing new battles and content first to instead of YouTube, and also give fans the ability to score battles. For those that have used it, what do you guys think of it so far? Also, for those curious, URL's supposed to be releasing 3 new battles per week (including stuff from The Vault), but so far on the launch day have the following battles up for view.

Rum Nitty vs. Nu Jerzey Twork
Goodz vs. Cassidy
Geechi Gotti vs. Chess
Danny Myers vs. Chef Trez
Ryda vs. Th3 Saga
Scotty vs. Young X
Yung Griz vs. Quban
Snake Eyez vs. Jai 400 Block
Ave vs. Glueazy
C3 vs. Deizel
T-Top vs. Qleen Paper
Don Marino vs. Prep
Radio B vs. Spanish Harlem
Buttah From Da Block vs. D.I. Da Hennyman
Scotty Good vs. Bankhead

Last edited by iamHBY; 05-28-2019 at 12:19 AM.
iamHBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
clapburn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
clapburn is a PY Poster
I mean that list is pretty meh imo.. first one I'd go to is top and qp def not worth spotify money to me
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #3
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
From what I can gather also, you won't be able to live stream PPV's on the app as they happen, but supposedly they will be available to view in there about a week after any PPV event.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 AM   #4
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
StabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
From what I can gather also, you won't be able to live stream PPV's on the app as they happen, but supposedly they will be available to view in there about a week after any PPV event.
Oh that's weak as fuck, I figured since it's 7.99/month you'd be able to watch PPVs live along with the price of the app a la WWE Network.

I know, I know, 'support the culture', but I'm personally not sure if I'd be able to justify it if it didn't come with the PPVs as they happen.

http://973-eht-namuh-973.com/
StabYourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I do think that being able to interact with the battles (The stink face button, lol) is the future of battling. Not sure how long they will be able to justify this price though. You can get unlimited music on most apps for less.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
might get it when im bored in the future but honestly i can live without those battles for a while shoulda done it years ago when battle rap was still popping

Last edited by youdontwannabethatguy; 05-28-2019 at 01:22 PM.
youdontwannabethatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Antarctica
My initial thoughts:
1. I dont watch battles on a phone and never will
2. I don't use tablets
3. Already have Tidal, Netflix, ,Prime, and the Premium channels pack for my cable streaming service coming out monthly
4. battle list looks fire out the gate and if they're going to continue to add daily/weekly, yeah that is dope
5. I wouldn't expect they would have done the PPV thing with this honestly; they had mad PPVs last year and charged high for them too (why would they?)

Lord knows I'll prolly get it and use it on PC via Bluestacks or Padian or somethin but generally I hate anything that is phone only like were all 13 yr olds; I avoided IG for like 5 years at first because of this.

Last edited by Neanderthol; 05-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
iamHBY

Apparently it’s compatible with Google Chromecast, I’ve never used Chromecast though.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Dusted123

Dusted123 is not the worst person
The only way I'd be interested in this is if it either included PPV or if they put out a list of every battle they plan to release(assuming its already happened) and update it accordingly as the year goes on

If we take those 15 battles and split it up into 3 per week releases I'd be interested in 1 week of releases, every other week would be either 1 battle or no interest at all

How many battles will come out a week that people are legitimately interested in and how long can they keep that up? Lot of talk about vaulted battles but if the quality is awful is it even worth it?

I'm not trying to pay 8 bucks a month for something that could be that inconsistent while also buying multiple PPVs a year across different leagues
Dusted123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabYourself View Post
Oh that's weak as fuck, I figured since it's 7.99/month you'd be able to watch PPVs live along with the price of the app a la WWE Network.

I know, I know, 'support the culture', but I'm personally not sure if I'd be able to justify it if it didn't come with the PPVs as they happen.
idk why whenever anyone makes a streaming service people try to act like WWE Network is the standard and not the exception. there's literally nothing else that does what the WWE Network does because there's no entertainment industry like WWE that has their market by the balls as vince does

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
(neg me all you want i'm too big to fail now)
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
Quote:
Apparently itís compatible with Google Chromecast, Iíve never used Chromecast though.
as long as ur internet is solid and ur router isn't blocked by mirrors or sheer distance, ur gonna be fine -- it's a solid peripheral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

StabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedboy View Post
idk why whenever anyone makes a streaming service people try to act like WWE Network is the standard and not the exception. there's literally nothing else that does what the WWE Network does because there's no entertainment industry like WWE that has their market by the balls as vince does
With PPV now being a huge part of URL's business model and the fact that I can very easily bootleg all of these PPVs while they're happening, they should have made streaming their PPVs through their app a(the) top priority. Give some incentive to contribute to their business. If they had made this app 9.99 or 11.99/month and streamed all of their PPVs, I would be willing to pay that, but 7.99 to watch a bunch of people's battles that I couldn't give a shit about without the benefit of live entertainment doesn't interest me.

To your point of the WWE Network comparison, a bunch of other sports/wrestling/fighting related apps that have livestream PPVs, so it's not just WWE Network. Not only that, there's not many other platforms competing against URL, and they're still swinging the biggest dick in BR with regard to name recognition, views, etc. They absolutely should be swinging for the fences, because it's absolutely possible, and they didn't do that. I can watch all these battles on YouTube or bootleg until they drop on YouTube. Livestreaming ppvs for a lesser monthly cost than the individual ppv would get a continuous stream of cash flow from me.

Last edited by StabYourself; 05-29-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 AM   #13
Ayo!

Ayo! is not the worst person
Please support black-owned businesses.
Ayo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:15 AM   #14
steveelite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
steveelite has seen da-feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthol View Post
My initial thoughts:
1. I dont watch battles on a phone and never will
2. I don't use tablets
3. Already have Tidal, Netflix, ,Prime, and the Premium channels pack for my cable streaming service coming out monthly
4. battle list looks fire out the gate and if they're going to continue to add daily/weekly, yeah that is dope
5. I wouldn't expect they would have done the PPV thing with this honestly; they had mad PPVs last year and charged high for them too (why would they?)

Lord knows I'll prolly get it and use it on PC via Bluestacks or Padian or somethin but generally I hate anything that is phone only like were all 13 yr olds; I avoided IG for like 5 years at first because of this.
Why do you have anything that uses a phone and why have you never watched a battle on your phone?..
steveelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #15
Earn+Ash=Nash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Earn+Ash=Nash is not the worst person
If you pay for the app on top of the PPVs then you're getting ripped off. URL should at least include the lower level PPVs. I don't see the point in paying $8 a month for a YouTube channel.
Earn+Ash=Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
Profess
I am the Chef

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
as long as ur internet is solid and ur router isn't blocked by mirrors or sheer distance, ur gonna be fine -- it's a solid peripheral
I've enjoyed using Chromecast in the past. However, I think it's better used in small doses only to save my phone's battery from wear and tear.

That being said, sounds like this is an Android/ iOS app. Perhaps an Android TV box would be the best place to steam this off of. I'd imagine an apple tv works the same was using iOS as it's operating system.

I wonder if they have talked to Netflix about deal. Maybe a ppv could air similar to how a comedy special does on that platform.
Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Profess
I am the Chef

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

I agree that working off the WWE model is a good idea. I'd like to see the streaming come with the app. I wonder what the research says about if they'd make more money like that in the long run.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #18
Profess
I am the Chef

I should watch that sometime. Has anyone else yet?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #19
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Quote:
With PPV now being a huge part of URL's business model and the fact that I can very easily bootleg all of these PPVs while they're happening, they should have made streaming their PPVs through their app a(the) top priority. Give some incentive to contribute to their business. If they had made this app 9.99 or 11.99/month and streamed all of their PPVs, I would be willing to pay that, but 7.99 to watch a bunch of people's battles that I couldn't give a shit about without the benefit of live entertainment doesn't interest me.

To your point of the WWE Network comparison, a bunch of other sports/wrestling/fighting related apps that have livestream PPVs, so it's not just WWE Network. Not only that, there's not many other platforms competing against URL, and they're still swinging the biggest dick in BR with regard to name recognition, views, etc. They absolutely should be swinging for the fences, because it's absolutely possible, and they didn't do that. I can watch all these battles on YouTube or bootleg until they drop on YouTube. Livestreaming ppvs for a lesser monthly cost than the individual ppv would get a continuous stream of cash flow from me.
i think you missed the point

no other wrestling company has the library and versatility of the WWE Network, every service has a video library AND a separate PPV model, WWE Network putting them together is one of one

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #20
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
i think you missed the point

no other wrestling company has the library and versatility of the WWE Network, every service has a video library AND a separate PPV model, WWE Network putting them together is one of one
Can confirm.

Nugs.net for instance is the PPV/Archive source for the jam band music scene. You pay monthly for an access to their archive of content and audio recordings of concerts go up immediately after they end.

They also have a streaming service which is separate and done on an event by event basis.

If they included event PPV's, the app would have to be very expensive.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #21
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
Can confirm.

Nugs.net for instance is the PPV/Archive source for the jam band music scene. You pay monthly for an access to their archive of content and audio recordings of concerts go up immediately after they end.

They also have a streaming service which is separate and done on an event by event basis.

If they included event PPV's, the app would have to be very expensive.
precisely! and that's because nugs.net does not have the monopoly over the jam band music scene. WWE has their monopoly to a degree no other company in their industry has -- and as big as Smack is, they've still got tons of competition pulling from the pool of money in battle rap.

thank u for helpin me explain this point

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
MrFujiwara
VIP

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
MrFujiwara is not the worst person
WWE Network is definitely not the only service offering live shows. Every wrestling promotion worth a fuck has a streaming service with their live shows. New Japan Workd, ROH Honor Club, Stardom World, tons of U.K. promotions, shit I even think Hoodslam does it. UFC Fight Pass has a bunch of live shows before the ESPN deal. Disney + is debuting in November forc$6.99 and will have everything Disney and Fox has ever made.

I think the app is a good idea but they have to step it up because this isnít cutting it.
MrFujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
precisely! and that's because nugs.net does not have the monopoly over the jam band music scene. WWE has their monopoly to a degree no other company in their industry has -- and as big as Smack is, they've still got tons of competition pulling from the pool of money in battle rap.

thank u for helpin me explain this point
I think you are missing the point that people are saying the using the wrong app model. The should be using the wrestling app model in design. This isn't good enough for 7.99 You basically paying for access to there youtube channel. What material can you get there that you cant anywhere else

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #24
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
I think you are missing the point that people are saying the using the wrong app model. The should be using the wrestling app model in design. This isn't good enough for 7.99 You basically paying for access to there youtube channel. What material can you get there that you cant anywhere else
Absolutely this, thank you for reiterating and rephrasing my point, as I couldn't figure out how else to say what I meant.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 AM   #25
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
update

still not drunk and bored enough to buy the app yet
Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #26
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

update now drunk and bored enough to have ordered it just realised in england this is like 6 quid a month i spend more on amazon prime this aint so bad as long as i continue never checking my balance online and grow resentful of the shit i waste money on.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:51 AM   #27
iamHBY

They added O-Red vs. JJDD to the app, they're releasing two other battles this week (one of which will probably be Drugz vs. Mike P).
Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #28
Ams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ams is not the worst person
I was just trying to sign up.
Are the only methods for payment this apple service and credit card?
No PayPal? Maybe I am blind...
Ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #29
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Quote:
man, how else can i phrase this to you morons still disputing this

WWE literally can only afford that business model because they are the biggest wrestling company in the world. They are the alpha, the omega, the judge, jury and executioner. WWE's biggest competition globally is New Japan Pro Wrestling, which isn't even in the same country as them. After that, their biggest competition is nothing. They have no competition, so they dominate the market. When you dominate the market, your focus is on keeping that dominance: so WWE operates at a loss with that service in order to keep people coming because they have other revenue avenues (such as live shows, TV deals and merchandising).

Now, in a similar vein, we have URL. URL is not the biggest battling league in the world, and it's only barely the biggest battle league in the United States. It has no avenues of revenue other than YouTube Ads, the sponsors on the events, ticketing from live events, PPVs and the app. What they can offer with the app right now is early viewing on upcoming YouTube releases, some unseen footage and a few exclusive battles to market the app. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this: URL can't be profitable adding the PPVs as a free thing to their service.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2019, 05:10 AM   #30
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
man, how else can i phrase this to you morons still disputing this

WWE literally can only afford that business model because they are the biggest wrestling company in the world. They are the alpha, the omega, the judge, jury and executioner. WWE's biggest competition globally is New Japan Pro Wrestling, which isn't even in the same country as them. After that, their biggest competition is nothing. They have no competition, so they dominate the market. When you dominate the market, your focus is on keeping that dominance: so WWE operates at a loss with that service in order to keep people coming because they have other revenue avenues (such as live shows, TV deals and merchandising).

Now, in a similar vein, we have URL. URL is not the biggest battling league in the world, and it's only barely the biggest battle league in the United States. It has no avenues of revenue other than YouTube Ads, the sponsors on the events, ticketing from live events, PPVs and the app. What they can offer with the app right now is early viewing on upcoming YouTube releases, some unseen footage and a few exclusive battles to market the app. I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this: URL can't be profitable adding the PPVs as a free thing to their service.
It can if they make enough money off the apps per month. THey making money when they dont have shows and dont do anything. Basically it's a guranteed monthly investment that they know is coming every month. If they don't add PPV's they gotta find something else they can add. The general consensus is it needs more

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 AM   #31
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Quote:
It can if they make enough money off the apps per month. THey making money when they dont have shows and dont do anything. Basically it's a guranteed monthly investment that they know is coming every month. If they don't add PPV's they gotta find something else they can add. The general consensus is it needs more
man i'm not sure arguing with you over this has a point

because i never get real annoyed at the internet but you're dumb as hell if you can't comprehend the argument you've had for 3 posts now: "it needs more, like live PPVs included" has been shut down now 4 times by "they can't, because that's literally cutting their revenue down by a ton"

thanks tho

pls don't quote this

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #32
Dylerius

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Dylerius is a PY Poster
Quote:
Apparently itís compatible with Google Chromecast, Iíve never used Chromecast though.
That's actually a nice incentive, I use Chromecast a lot.
Dylerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 AM   #33
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
They added O-Red vs. JJDD to the app, they're releasing two other battles this week (one of which will probably be Drugz vs. Mike P).
JJTD and Mike P in a week? They should pay us compensation for that trash.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #34
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
JJTD and Mike P in a week? They should pay us compensation for that trash.
In the time since that initial comment of mine, they've released Drugz vs. Bill Collector, the 2 announcements for Summer Impact, Arsonal vs. Geechi Gotti, the Banned battle of Chilla Jones vs. Steams, JC vs. Mike P, Franchise vs. Chef Trez, Charlie Clips vs. Nu Jerzey Twork and Ace Amin vs. Burke Bucs.

Tags