Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
KOTD East

Old 10-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
Hughms

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Hughms is not the worst person
KOTD East

Had to pop thru the little pumpkin festival with the homies - nothing "weird" - and missed the ting. Someone throw me breakdown.
Hughms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
xcel beat eddy
show off beat bonnie
j murda beach rich dollaz
head ice beat ty law

xcel v eddy was best battle by far imo, close back and forth with clean performances. show off had some really dope moments and bonnie was bonnie... she didn’t do much for me, included stuff like doing schemes out of all the battlers on the card, did a whole round about “shows”, idk... rich vs j murda was alright, but i should say i just don’t rate j murda very well. he stumbled a little and did a gimmicky third, rich dollars wasn’t bad but he got crickets from the small crowd who was clearly on j murdas side- not saying it was a robbery but the energy was kinda weird to me. ice vs law was cool, i was kind of distracted tho- they both stumbled in the third.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
ice t and immortal tech were there and did interviews with aak between battles. ice t comes off as a super down to earth rich person who said he’s considering throwing some bread up to do an invitational after what he saw today. also thought it was cool when he was like “before y’all even get the question in... NO i could not fuck with any of these emcees! they’re on a different level”
Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 AM   #4
Hughms

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Hughms is not the worst person
good looks
Hughms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #5
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 570 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
xcel beat eddy
show off beat bonnie
j murda beach rich dollaz
head ice beat ty law

xcel v eddy was best battle by far imo, close back and forth with clean performances. show off had some really dope moments and bonnie was bonnie... she didn’t do much for me, included stuff like doing schemes out of all the battlers on the card, did a whole round about “shows”, idk... rich vs j murda was alright, but i should say i just don’t rate j murda very well. he stumbled a little and did a gimmicky third, rich dollars wasn’t bad but he got crickets from the small crowd who was clearly on j murdas side- not saying it was a robbery but the energy was kinda weird to me. ice vs law was cool, i was kind of distracted tho- they both stumbled in the third.
Good looking. I wanted to see this but I missed it, too. How did you think it ranked compared to the other 2 events we’ve seen so far?
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I'd say Eddy/Xcel was not only BOTN, but I think you can make an argument for it being one of the best battles of the entire tournament so far. Good back and forth, to me the fan vote being 51% for Xcel and 49% for Eddy is a good indication of how close the battle was. I think they definitely both gained a lot of new fans after the battle.

Bonnie/Showoff was just OK to me. Bonnie had a good 2nd, but besides that, I thought she was a little all over the place from a formatting standpoint, and I didn't quite get why she was dressed like Harley Quinn. I haven't really been a fan of Showoff in the past, but I thought he had a good enough performance to easily win against Bonnie.

Rich/Murda was kind of a weird battle. Admittedly, Rich Dolarz's material was a bit outdated (he did an alphabet scheme in the 1st), but for someone that hadn't battled in 6 years, I thought delivery-wise he was more compelling than J Murda. My 2 biggest critiques with J Murda had to do with him having a tendency to have decent enough setups to punches with no real payoff, and spending so much of his 3rd doing a callback to Daylyt's 3rd against Rich that I just wanted to see that instead. J Murda's got Showoff in the next round, they're friends, should make for an interesting dynamic.

For Ice/Law, it was looking like a really good battle up until Ty Law's 3rd. It was certainly the best Ice performance I've seen in awhile, and for the 1st 2 rounds, I thought Ty Law was doing really well with his updated style. But I guess at the beginning of Ty's 3rd, Pen turned his back away from camera to get someone in the crowd to stop smoking since apparently that's against Twitch policy, and that caused Ty Law to forget his material. He still tried to power through, but the stumbling and whatnot at the end kinda killed his momentum, and Ice got the win. Ice is gonna face Xcel next, they were originally supposed to battle on iBattle a few months back, but now it's happening on KOTD instead. Should be a fun battle, although Ice is also battling Rosenberg Raw in 6 days on RBE's Mask On 2 card.

It was really cool to see Ice-T in the building, he seemed to be having fun watching the battles, and overall, I'd say it was a solid stream. They also announced at the beginning of the stream that due to some medical setbacks, Gjonaj had to drop out of the tournament, and will no longer be battling Joey Gambello. Instead, Ciddy (formerly known as M. Ciddy) will be taking Gjonaj's place in the tournament. I think Ciddy making his KOTD debut is long overdue, and the rest of the card looks pretty intriguing.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Good looking. I wanted to see this but I missed it, too. How did you think it ranked compared to the other 2 events we’ve seen so far?
weakest of the three cards battle wise, strongest of the three cards in terms of production etc (outside of technical issues with the remote judges on the first battle)

ice t and immortal tech doing interviews was really dope, so was having Kid Capri as a judge. Aak is a really good host who gives good interviews. i hope they fly him out for the rest of the series.

also drect has actually been really good in the two events he’s been at, he seems to be the most familiar with twitch and is always adresssing the fans at home, reminding them exactly when and how to vote, which is really important.

at this point production wise the only real issue i have left is the crowd. when the crowd is so small, any kind of bias really shows. when there’s like 15-20 people in the crowd, anyone who’s looking disinterested or distracted is a really bad look. stuff like that stands out a lot more to me. also, like... why are you there if you’re not gonna pay attention? I didn’t catch this but Ty Law’s stumble apparently happened bc someone in the crowd started smoking (which will get your stream pulled on twitch), so Pen abruptly turned to deal with him and it bumped Ty and threw him off.

i felt like the west coast was the worst for this by far, but the effect was felt during yesterdays event too. the crowd should be curated and pretty much directed by someone to get the most value out of that element of the production, otherwise in some battles i feel like it would be better to just have it as the host and the battlers.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

important to note that i saw king fly post on facebook that there is no plan to post the battles anywhere, and that they have events planned every sunday for the rest of the year, and the plan is to just get people to tune in every sunday.

i would enjoy if they did a rebroadcast midweek for the people that miss it, or a live highlight show like sports center or something mid week

otherwise there’s definitely just gonna be a huge bootleg market, or imo the quality of battles will decrease as they become increasingly disposable.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
important to note that i saw king fly post on facebook that there is no plan to post the battles anywhere, and that they have events planned every sunday for the rest of the year, and the plan is to just get people to tune in every sunday.

i would enjoy if they did a rebroadcast midweek for the people that miss it, or a live highlight show like sports center or something mid week

otherwise there’s definitely just gonna be a huge bootleg market, or imo the quality of battles will decrease as they become increasingly disposable.
Apparently it was part of the deal, but what kind of person has time in the middle of a Sunday every single week?!? Not sure if KOTD is trying to cockblock us, but not many of the wives and girlfriends are gonna be happy with it.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

Meanwhile, last week I think I saw Clayton (one of the guys filming the battles) say that Twitch has the exclusive rights for 72 hours, but after that period, KOTD can upload the battles elsewhere, which makes me think they’re eventually going to be released on YouTube officially.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I thought it was an underwhelming event, on-par with what we've seen so far. Eddy/Xcel was okay. I like Eddy and felt he deserved the win. Showoff was decent. Rich/J Murda happened. Ice/Ty Law was awesome in the first round, and I missed the rest.

KOTD could've gotten better names for the Grand Prix, even if not popular battlers. I'm still tuning in on the principle of rappers rapping for $50k. But mannnnnnn this doesn't feel like a $50k tournament.

Last edited by peace; 10-05-2020 at 02:37 PM.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

I hope that's not the case. I'm all for not releasing every battle that's ever happened, but hopefully KOTD can/will post the memorable battles of the tourney on YouTube.

And if we learned anything from URL on Caffeine, it's that weekly events are exhausting for both fans and the rappers. I guess this can be avoided by KOTD having a giant roster and giving battlers a good amount of time to prep, but I wonder how likely that'd actually be if there's an event every single weekend. It'll be throwing rap battles into a void.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
If there is an event every sunday, this means the next rounds of the grand prix will just be the two battles? And then the finals will just be a single battle event for each region?

Cant complain too much with free live battle events, but that is spreading it pretty thin if it works like that.
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
If there is an event every sunday, this means the next rounds of the grand prix will just be the two battles? And then the finals will just be a single battle event for each region?

Cant complain too much with free live battle events, but that is spreading it pretty thin if it works like that.
Yes but they will have an undercard of battles to fill out each card and event every week.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #15
ass2myface

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
ass2myface is not the worst person
Sunday isn't really a great battle day for me, with the kid and NFL games on.

Glad to see KOTD showing signs of life again tough, and getting back to their roots with the tourneys.

Having Ice T take some interest in the league, is a very cool look.
ass2myface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
Casual

Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Casual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battle
Missed the first battle but thought the event was meh.

The only thing that stuck out was Ice T saying he was impressed and was gonna find something of his own. Imagine if he had been exposed to guys that were even half decent.

J Murda sucks though. Never really heard of him before. Has he been better than this in the past?
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Missed the first battle but thought the event was meh.

The only thing that stuck out was Ice T saying he was impressed and was gonna find something of his own. Imagine if he had been exposed to guys that were even half decent.

J Murda sucks though. Never really heard of him before. Has he been better than this in the past?
no. 5char
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

current top 5: tay roc, tsu surf, pat stay, loaded lux, geechi gotti
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1290 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It was good. ice and law is a dream match for me and I enjoyed
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
It was good. ice and law is a dream match for me and I enjoyed
Yeah the card was as good as could be expected considering the names. The good news is that most of the trash went crashing out, so at least the top 4 of all divisions should be much better.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221